Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Touring the school

We finally were able to go to the school on Wednesday and get started with the process of finding out assignments, seeing classrooms, and meeting the rest of the foreign teachers. Jim and I caught a taxi to the school and walked around a bit before the rest of the team arrived. We met the nicest couple from Canada. He is supposed to be teaching Chemistry and she will be teaching Primary. There were several teachers from New Zealand, England, and a couple from the US. We had our meeting, signed contracts, and then were told what area we would be in. I have been assigned to a joint program between the International School and a program in New Zealand called the Marlbarrow Boys program.
Seems as though I may be teaching high-school Science!! Wow - I don't have any background in that area and it will sure be different than teaching oral English. Instead of teaching 16 hours a week, it looks like I will be teaching for six days then off one, then four days and off 3.
I met with some of the teachers this morning and am more overwhelmed than ever. I still don't know time schedules, classes, curriculum, etc. and we are technically supposed to start on Monday. I think I will have from 13 - 18 year olds. I may be expected to teach science, chemistry, and physics all integrated together - my computer classes surely look tame right about now. I am looking in the great book for support and help.
You guys at 1st A-G surely had better be saying intense thoughts about me right now. :-)

We have a welcome dinner at a local restaurant for all the new teachers in just a little while so I'll sign off and we'll go see if we can find the place.

Zia Jian

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estee,

Wow! Teaching Science to the "Marlbarrow Boys" sounds very impressive! And you thought you were only going to teach oral English. Surprise, surprise, huh?

Am glad you have met some of the other teachers and can share your thoughts with them.

Yep, 1st AG "intense thoughts" are with you 100%.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Until later,
Lu

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My O My !! what my Child has gotten into.! But I know she can do it,,(:>) And some one we know is always right there to help,Along with our very special thoughts also, Glad you are making new friends. --- Mom

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my! if anyone can do it, you surely can, especially with all of the support that you have, here and above. You have a super teacher's guide. Glad to read your posts and hear what is going on

Love ya guys,
Larry

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home